Sunday, October 19, 2008

Unflattering Thing 2

Freshman year is all kind of a blur now. I remember always being nervous and having way more work than I was used to. It started off as an okay year, as okay as anyone’s freshman year is. I met lots of new people, played sports, and did my work. What I remember most about my freshman year is what I did on the weekends.
Everyone looks forward to the weekend. I still do now, everyone needs time to relax. Since freshman year I did not really know anyone that well and did not especially love school, I looked forward to the weekends where I could hang out with my best friends, most of which went to a different school than me. There were five of us that always hung out. We were best friends, and we did absolutely everything together. We had the best times together and were inseparable.
As the year went on, it became harder to hang out every Friday and Saturday night. We all played sports and games and activities got in the way, but we talked all the time and hung out as much as we could. We all started making new friends, but we all wanted each other to be happy and have friends. We saw each other as much as possible and it was like we were never apart.
The year kept on going, and my friend Taylor and I stopped talking as much. It started by being busy to hang out, and we all understood. Making plans does not always work out. However, toward the end of the year, the hanging out stopped. The phone began to ring less. IM’s became a lot less frequent. We all realized what was happening. I tried to keep hanging out with her and talk to her as much as she wanted to, but I realized I did not want a one way friendship. I did not want a friend who I cared about, but who did not care about me. If she did not want to make the effort to hang out with me anymore, I was not going to make the effort either. When she stopped trying, so did I.
This was not the right way to go about the situation. We never talked anything out, we just stopped talking. She was being selfish, and I was being selfish right back. Two wrongs do not make a right, but I did not care. I have seen her around and talked to her briefly, but nothing has really changed. We’ll never be the same.

No comments: