Sunday, October 26, 2008

#4 Letter from a body part

Dear Hannah,

You’ve had to know that this was coming. I’ve been hurting for a while. Your right knee has too, he’s just not quite as banged up as I am, hence why I’m the angry one voicing my opinion. Just take the time to look at me, right now. Yeah, that wasn‘t pretty. Imagine if that was your face, then you’d realize what I have to deal with all the time. I’m all swollen and bruised and cut up and gross. All thanks to you.
I have come to accept the fact that you play sports, and that you, well let’s just say, are not the most graceful athlete to ever play a sport. Also, you certainly have no fear of the floor. I’ve put up with this for our whole entire life, but if you want to keep me well and working, you’ve got to be at least a little more careful. Take right now for instance, it’s volleyball season. PLEASE remember to wear you kneepads. Almost all last week you forgot them at practice and we both got pretty bruised and cut up. I know you like to play hard, but could you at least TRY to land a little more lightly? Lately I’ve been getting complaints from your hips and hands about falling, too. But really, the kneepad thing, you have to remember to wear them, and to keep pulling them up during games because that little superman dive during the Lowell Catholic game, well things haven’t been too pretty after that.
I’m also absolutely dreading basketball season. That’s always the worst. It’s no use asking you not to dive for a ball or hit the floor because I know you will anyway. However, just after I get banged up, please take care of me. Aside from your right knee, ice is my absolute best friend. Softball doesn’t really bother me too much, but stop acting like you know how to slide. Running full speed at the ground and then falling next to the base does not mean you can slide, Hannah. Learn how, and stop thinking you’re doing it right because that scar from last spring proves you wrong.
I’m not anticipating much of a change in you playing sports, or me hitting the ground hard. Just please at least make the effort to take care of me after I get hurt. I can’t take much more of weeks of being bruised and bloody. Just make sure to stock up on ice and band aids and I guess we can call it even.


Sincerely,
Your Left Knee

No comments: