Sunday, October 26, 2008

#1 A letter to yourself from yourself (ten years ago)

Dear 26 year old Hannah,
I wonder if you (or I, I suppose?) will remember writing this. In case you don’t, this is your sixteen-year-old self. I am writing a letter for me to open when I’m 26. The intention behind this letter is not to have some huge impact that will change your life once it is read again. I am really writing it now just as a reminder. I just wanted to remind you about everything you might have forgotten because knowing me now, being forgetful is not going to change anytime soon, or ever, for that matter. I want to remind myself when I’m older of what I have been through, who I am, and who right now, I hope to become.


Right now I do not know what I really want or where you ended up right now. I want to finish out high school with good grades and doing well with sports. I want to get into a good college. I do not know really where I want to go yet. All I can say is that it better be somewhere in either New York City or Boston. I want to go a big school, hopefully. I do not really know what I want to study in college, or even what I hope to become. I want to do everything, and I do not know how I ever narrowed it down, or even if you did that yet. I want to become rich and famous. I want to be rockstar, a princess, or a superstar athlete making a whole lot of money. More realistically, however, I hope to have a job I can enjoy, and have a comfortable life. I was thinking of going to college for business, and then maybe becoming a fashion designer. Becoming a lawyer has also always been on my list. Lately I’ve wanted to become a journalist or something along those lines, so, it is hard for me to say what direction I really want to go in.

No matter where I ended up and what job I have now, or what college I went to, most of all I hope that you are happy. With whatever job I have or however much money I’m making, the most important thing that I want is to be happy. I don’t know now if at 26 I’m married and have kids. I want to have a family and great friends always by my side. I hope you are surrounded by people who love you and care about you, because even at 16 I have learned a lot about that. I hope that lesson is something that I have continued to carry throughout my life. I hope that I have grown into someone that I would be proud of, the person that I would want to become. I hope that this is a reminder to stay on track and in remembering who I was, who I am, and who I want to become in the future.

Love,
16 year old Hannah

No comments: