Sunday, March 1, 2009

Huck Finn 3: p. 47-66

1.)"I warn't feeling very brash, there warn't much sand in my craw"(50).
brash- impertinent; impudent; tactless


2.)"Don't you git too peart"(62).
peart- lively, brisk, cheerful


"I reckon the widow or the parson or somebody prayed that this bread would find me, and here it had gone and done it. So there ain't no doubt but there is something in that thing. That is, there's something in it when a body like the widow or the parson prays, but it don't work for me, and I reckon it don't work for only just the right kind"(48).

Huck has good and bad thoughts about prayer. His thoughts about the subject have certainly improved since the beginning of the novel. At first Huck thought that "there ain't nothing in it"(19). However, now that Huck got something to help him in a time of need, his faith is renewed. Although, he still has a ways to go. It is saddening that Huck thinks only the "right kind"(48), of people can pray. He should not think that he is a lesser person than anyone else. Huck needs to realize that anyone can pray and it is not for only special people to do. He is good enough for his prayers to be answered, too.




"Well, I did. I said I wouldn't, and I'll stick to it. Honest injun I will. People would call me a low down Ablitionist and despise me for keeping mum-- but that don't make no difference. I ain't going to tell, and I ain't agoing back there anyways"(53).



Loyalty is very important to Huck. We see this also when he joins Tom Sawyer's band of robbers. In their oath Huck swore to "stick to the band, and never tell any of the secrets"(16). This shows that trust is very important to Huck. He is a good kid and his heart is always in the right place. He seems to value friendship a lot by always accompanying Tom on adventures. Jim also obviously trusts Huck's words because he reveals to Huck that he ran away. Huck is young and naive, but this does not stop him at all from being truthful and valuing honesty.

No comments: