Thursday, September 11, 2008

Examples in Darcy's speech

Ethos:
"I have no wish of denying that I did everything in my power to separate my friend from your sister, or that I rejoice in my success. Towards him I have been Kinder than towards myself" (170).

Here, Darcy's quote is showing ethos. He is trying to make Lizzy feel that he is a more credible source by explaining his reasons for hurting her sister, and he is trying to gain her trust so she will be more likely to believe the rest of what he has to say.

Logos:
"I have every reason in the world to think ill of you. No motive can excuse the unjust and ungenerous part you acted there. You dare not, you cannot deny that you have been the principal, if not the only means of dividing them from each other, of exposing one to the censure of the world for caprice and instability, the other to its derision for disappointed hopes, and involving them both in misery of the acutest kind" (170).

This quote from Lizzy showed logos. She broke down her thinking and explained to Mr. Darcy the reasons she disliked him. She stated her stance and supported it with facts.

Pathos:
"Who that knows what his misfortunes have been can help feeling an iterest in him?" "His misfortunes!" repeated Darcy contemptuously; "yes, his misfortunes have been great indeed" (171).
This quote from Mr. Darcy shows pathos. Mr. Darcy is trying to convince Lizzy of why she should not be mad at him for breaking up her sister and fiance. Mr. Darcy is explaining how badly her sister's fiance would have ended up and that he felt bad for him. He was trying to make Lizzy feel bad about it too, so she would see his argument from his point of view.

No comments: